HomeEarly FarmsCollis P. HuntingtonChesapeake & OhioA City GrowsSchoolsHotel Warwick and CasinoShipbuilding & Dry Dock Co.World War ISurge in Home BuildingWest Avenue LibraryAfrican American LifeBibliography
Hotel Warwick and Casino

Hotel Warwick — “. . .while primarily designed as an agreeable headquarters for business men and their families, the beauty of its location and excellence of its cuisine attracts hither large numbers of guests from the leisurely classes, who fully enjoy the delicious climate which is found here the greater part of the year.” The hotel opened April 11, 1883.
Facts Concerning the City of Newport News, Virginia, ODLC, 1892

Exterior view of Hotel Warwick
Exterior view of
Hotel Warwick

This photograph shows the hotel located on the corner of 24th Street and West Avenue in downtown Newport News.

Interior Dining Room Interior Dining Room

One of the Hotel Warwick’s interior dining areas.

Main Dining Room Main Dining Room

This photo depicts the beautiful main dining room of the hotel.

Ladies’ Lounge Ladies’ Lounge

Wicker furnishings and woven carpets create a delicate atmosphere for the Ladies’ Lounge.

Hotel Warwick BrochureHotel Warwick Brochure

“Overlooking the Greatest Harbor on the Atlantic Coast.” The brochure describes historical sites in nearby Yorktown, Williamsburg and Jamestown Island and also includes impressive views of the hotel's interior and exterior.

Lobby with view of Gentlemen’s Lounge Lobby with view of
Gentlemen’s Lounge

Leather furnishings and a coat of arms over the fireplace distinguish the Men’s Lounge.



Menu
1943Menu

The hotel was still in operation under the ODLC into the late 1940s. This 1943 menu includes a full breakfast costing from 45 to 85 cents and a pot of coffee for 15 cents. Lamb chops, veal cutlet, codfish cakes, and calf’s liver are other breakfast choices. It is noted that they are proud to serve “Golden Guernsey” milk.

Bowling Alley Bowling Alley

The bowling alley opened on Casino grounds in the spring of 1884. The Casino grounds were an extension of the hotel grounds located on the bank of the James River.