HomeEarly FarmsCollis P. HuntingtonChesapeake & OhioA City GrowsSchoolsHotel Warwick and CasinoShipbuilding & Dry Dock Co.World War ISurge in Home BuildingWest Avenue LibraryAfrican American LifeBibliography
Home Building
Hilton Village
1918–1919Hilton Village

The first wartime public housing project built to supply needed housing for shipyard workers during World War I. Prior to WWI the tract was forested with tall pines. The 500 or so houses were constructed after the style of those of an English village. The development, which opened July 7, 1918 for occupancy by shipyard workers, was not officially completed until October 1919.

Advertisement Advertisement

This flyer advertises "Beautiful Huntington Heights Lots for Sale" by the ODLC.
Prices range between $1500 and $1850.

Segregation in Housing
1917Segregation in Housing

These Daily Press articles dated Nov. 8, 1917 describe some of the issues affecting segregation in Newport News during the housing boom when “separate but equal” is beginning to be questioned.

Advertisement Advertisement

This flyer advertises “Acre Home Sites
Close In” and explains the virtues of
home ownership.

Jefferson Avenue Park 1917 Jefferson Avenue Park

In a Daily Press advertisement on October 7, 1917, Jefferson Avenue Park Plat No. 2 was described as a new subdivision embracing the Jefferson and Warwick Avenue frontages from 41st to 45th Streets. Prices ranged from $160 to $350 per lot. The houses were located within easy walking distance to the shipyard and immediately adjoining the C & O yards. The homes were also in close proximity to Jefferson Avenue and 23rd Street which were the centers of business and social life for the black people of Newport News. The advertisment notes: “It is no exaggeration to say that Jefferson Avenue Park is in the very heart of this Community.”

Hilton Farm House 1918 Hilton Farm House

Hilton, a farm acquired by John Pembroke Jones before the Civil War, originally was named Milford. Jones’ wife is credited with renaming the estate Hilton for her family associations. The Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, in cooperation with the United States Shipping Board Emergency Fleet Corporation, purchased the entire Hilton tract as a housing project for the shipyard’s wartime workers in 1917. Located at the foot of Post Street, the Hilton Farm House became the location of the fire department and a club house.