This postcard shows the new coal pier constructed in 1892. The high level coal pier was designed to overturn the coal cars for maximum performance in unloading their cargo. The
C & O Railway linked the coal regions of the Appalachian Range with the Atlantic Seaboard.
Copy of 1880 public notice printed by “Many Landowners” offers inducements to the C & O Railway Company to bring the terminus to Newport News.
Lee Hall Depot
Constructed in the early 1880s by the
C & O Railway as part of the effort to establish its Atlantic terminus at
Newport News, thereby linking the Ohio River Valley with the sea.
October 16, 1881 brought the completion of
C & O’s Eastern extension from Richmond to Newport News which was celebrated with the driving of a “ceremonial silver spike” by the Superintendent of Construction. On October 19, the first passenger train traveled from Newport News to Yorktown for the Yorktown Centennial Celebration. This connection was the dream of Collis P. Huntington who took control of the C & O in 1869 and created the ODLC in 1880. The train shown is a Class A-13 4-4-0 American Built train by Schenectady, 1881.
A deed purchasing land for railway expansion from the ODLC to
C & O Railway Company, dated February 1, 1883, for $100,000.
This image depicts an aerial view of Newport News featuring C & O railroad tracks and piers. You can see the beginnings of downtown Newport News in the background. The Warwick Hotel is the most prominent building in the picture.
Historical Society 1915 C & O passenger station Postcard
For nearly 48 years, C & O’s ornate passenger station was a significant landmark on Newport News’ ever-changing waterfront. The depot opened on December 1, 1892 and served until it was demolished in 1940. In the late 1940s, a new brick depot opened and operated until 1981.