Newport News and Warwick County Virginia were occupied by federal troops for much of the U.S. Civil War of 1861-1865. Newport News was occupied by federal forces commanded by Major-General Benjamin Butler beginning on May 27, 1861. A well fortified military camp called Camp Butler was established on land owned by Parker West. Camp Butler remained for the duration of the war and included a Confederate POW prison camp for a few months after the war ended. The Battle of Hampton Roads between the U.S.S. Monitor and C.S.S. Virginia occurred off the shore of Newport News March 8-9 of 1862. The Battle of Lee's Mill or Dam No1 occurred in Warwick County along the Warwick River on April 16, 1862. There were also several skirmishes in the area. This collection contains digital images of pages from the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, lithographs from Harper's Weekly and Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper as well as several other books. There are modern photographs of how some of the remaining Civil War Confederate Earthworks and Redoubts look today.